Saturday, February 05, 2005

Spoke Too Soon

Remember when I was talking about our dog, Becky, and her obsession with the pack 'n play? Well yesterday she jumped into it. Brian didn't think she could, but I saw it with my own eyes. I was sitting in the living room, she was sitting in front of the pack 'n play in the next room, crying. The next thing I know, she jumped up and right into it. I can't believe she cleared the side of it! Immediately she found out that was not acceptable, but it's further evidence that she feels she is queen of this castle. We'll be in for a struggle, I'm afraid. When I told Brian about it when he got home from work, his response was, "Well I guess we can't leave her alone around it." His lack of reading shows (or should I say my obsessive planning?). I had to explain to him that you're not supposed to leave dogs unattended with babies anyway... animals are unpredictable, as Becky proved yesterday. So after that, she decided to sniff up the stroller for a while... this should be interesting.

To all of you domestic goddesses out there, how often do you mop your floors? There is no carpeting in this apartment--vinyl floor in kitchen, tile in bathroom (the tiles are coming up...lovely), and pine floors in the rest of the apartment. I have a hard enough time getting to vacuuming lately, but I realized it had been quite some time since I mopped. It's been on my to do list, I just never get around to it. So I'm sitting in the living room now, waiting for the kitchen and bathroom floors to dry so I can get on with my life. I haven't mopped the rest of the house in even longer, but mainly that's because the wood floors obviously haven't been sealed in a long time and I'm afraid of ruining them with the water. I usually save those floors for the warmer months. The reason I ask what you do, though, is that I feel that my domestic inadequacies will become a much bigger issue once we have a child crawling around on these floors. The thought of it grosses me out... We don't wear shoes in the house to help keep down on the dirt, but still, our dog trots these floors every day and Lord knows what she's been stepping in! I'm hoping our next apartment will have more carpeting so this isn't as much of an issue. Sure, carpets need to be shampooed, but not as often as bare floors need to be mopped.

1 comment:

Kether said...

This was one of the reasons I was so obsessed with getting carpeting in our back two rooms where the baby will be most.
Ugh. I used to mop the kitchen(tile) a couple times a week and the living room etc., once a week or so. But, truth be told, since I got huge and uncomfortable I have barely cleaned at all!
I'm just now getting back into things. But I've had the same worries about when we have a crawler because we've got two dogs and five cats.