Thursday, May 31, 2007

Quick Birth Story

I woke at 1AM Sunday with strong contractions that were stopping me in my tracks. They were 7 min apart. Knowing that it could be a while still, I let Brian sleep and worked my way through on my own. By 3AM, they were getting closer together so I woke Brian. He started to get everything together as I continued to work my way through, standing the entire time as no other position was comfortable. I didn't want to head to the birth center too early so we waited as long as possible (plus I felt bad about waking the midwife early on Sunday morning). By 5:30AM I had contractions that were 4-5 min apart for at least 2 hrs, so we called. We were to meet the midwife at the birth center within 45 minutes or so.

I think I hit transition in the car. It was uncomfortable to be sitting anyway, but then the contractions started to come every 2-3 minutes and they were extremely painful. I vocalized the whole way to the hospital, which I'm sure freaked out Brian.

Once we got to the birth center, our midwife wasn't there yet. They had us go to the maternity side, where they hooked me up to monitors to check on my contrax and baby's heart rate. I remember looking at the clock at 7AM saying "It's already 7?". The midwife arrived shortly after that. When she checked me, I was 8cm dilated and fully effaced (after not really being dilated or effaced less than 24 hrs before). They rushed me to the birth center.

In the birth center, I labored in the tub very briefly. It didn't work out, as disappointing as that is to admit... the tub was blissful while it lasted. It was quick after that, though. My midwife told me not to hold back if I felt like pushing and the next thing I knew, Ethan was on the way!

As much as I didn't want to deliver that way, I ended up on my back on the bed with maternity nurses (as the birth center nurse wasn't there yet) assisting. One of them kept telling me that I had to pull on my legs, hold my breath, push hard and keep quiet or it wouldn't be effective. I wanted to kick her in the teeth, and I did tell her no at one point.

I tore badly. I guess the OB who did my episiotomy with Maggie (against my wishes) sewed it up too tightly and there was no give. The midwife had a hard time after the birth figuring out where the damage was to repair as I also lost a lot of blood.

But in any case, Ethan joined us at 7:32AM on Sunday. We thought he looked really small and were surprised to learn that he was 9 lbs 3 oz and 21 inches long. Shocked Only 1 oz heavier and 1/2 inch longer than Maggie at birth!

...

Ethan will be our last. I know that's easy to say right after birth (my family was teasing me for saying that) but I had a difficult pregnancy emotionally and I honestly do not want to go through birth again. Babies are wonderful, but I feel our family is now complete. Brian totally agrees.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for your perfect, happy family. Sounds like things went quick once you got to the center!!

And he does not look like a 9 pounder! I know you posted it in his quick announcement, but in that pick, I was totally thinking 7 something. Must be the extra length hiding it. lol

Congrats again!

Unknown said...

It must feel good to be at peace knowing your family is now complete. :o)