Thursday, April 21, 2005

Worries Come Marching In

I saw a post today on Fertility Friend regarding listings of sex offenders. So I figured, gee, that's something I haven't checked before - maybe I should. 53. That's how many there are listed in my city. Of the 53, there are 4 or 5 within a few streets of where we live (although none on our street). A couple of them are even people I went to school with. Which goes to show you: #1 you definitely can't judge a book by its cover and #2 you can never be too safe.

The website is http://www.criminalcheck.com/. Connecticut also has its own website that includes photos: http://www.sor.state.ct.us.

I want to add that I did not put this up on here to start a debate. Many, many, many people reform after committing crimes. However, there are valid reasons to be concerned if a sex offender lives near you. And both of these websites indicate what exactly the person was charged with and when, so you can make the decision for yourself how concerned you should be about that individual. Sure, everyone is entitled to forgiveness. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

1 comment:

Kether said...

I did the same thing not too long ago when LA County put their statistics up. I almost had a heart attack. I'm surrounded by them.
Sex offenders freak me out, because, if you notice, frequently people that kidnap and kill children are previously convicted sex offenders. Apparantly, in LA they purposely release them to where I live. Great. Thanks.