Saturday, April 09, 2005

Checking In From New Hampshire

It's so nice to get away! We got up here pretty late last night due to our silly insistence on going the scenic route. Didn't even get in to the condo until around 8PM and we arrived at my favorite restaurant (Woodstock Station) at 9PM for dinner. That was a big mistake. They have live entertainment on weekend nights, and it had just started. It was very loud and quite annoying, especially considering the performers were within 20 feet of our table. On top of that, since smoking is allowed in New Hampshire (I forgot about that...no smoking allowed in restaurants in Connecticut) and the lounge was attached to the dining area, it got quite smokey in there. Brian didn't seem to notice, but I did and it was making me SICK! The service was terrible, even though there were only 4 other tables of people. And the food wasn't even that great. I was extremely disappointed. I don't think that's my favorite restaurant anymore. :(

Sleeping in a strange place is always hard on me. Usually the problem is the quiet or the strange noises I'm not used to. Noise wasn't a problem for me at the condo because there's a waterfall directly behind the unit. No kidding! Since I normally sleep with a white noise machine on, this was perfect. However, I couldn't get my internal thermostat under control (I kept getting too hot), so I still didn't sleep well.

This morning we went to our favorite breakfast spot. Ironically, it's a restaurant owned and operated by the same people as my (now former) favorite dinner spot. They're even in the same historic building! Breakfast was fantastic! Everybody gets homemade sticky buns with their meals, plus bread made from the spent grains used at their brewery. Yummy! Then it was time to drop Brian off and start my adventure.

The scenery on the way from Cannon Mountain to North Conway was beautiful. But my shopping trip was disappointing. I can't shop for clothes, and everything else makes me feel guilty since I know we need to buy baby things. I bought a poster for Brian, some gourmet dog treats for Becky, and a sundress (yes, another dress!) for Peep at the Gap outlet, but that was it. I could have used some maternity clothes but neither the Gap nor Old Navy outlets had any. :( So I headed back to get Brian.

Dinner was at my 2nd (now 1st, I think) favorite restaurant, the Common Man. What's ironic is that while it's called the Common Man, the fare is mostly haughty-taughty. Brian and I are both picky eaters so it's amazing that we would like this place, but the service is great and they have some unique quirks. Like cheese and crackers for everyone. And everyone gets some of their homemade white chocolate. I had a white chocolate martini the first time we ate there (obviously some time ago) but I couldn't have that today, so I had white chocolate mousse for dessert. YUM! Then it was back to the condo, which is where I am now.

Pictures:

Waterfall in Crawford Notch


Mount Washington Resort (with Mount Washington in the background)


Mount Washington


Me in front of the waterfall behind the condo

2 comments:

Kether said...

Beautimous!
I love your belly.

Tanya said...

What beautiful pictures~! Thank you for sharing them. :)