Friday, April 15, 2005

TGIF!

What a week! I really just wanted to spend the weekend shut away in my apartment, as far away from the roads as possible. But I had a regular OB appointment this afternoon so I had to brave the roads once more. And believe it or not, I ALMOST got hit...again!! I've decided my truck has earned the name "Christine." It obviously has a death wish and is communicating this to the other vehicles. Luckily, I escaped unscathed...but driving is just not the same. I tense up at every traffic light, every time there are 2 lanes, and any time somebody gets too close to me. I used to enjoy driving and now it's the last thing I want to do.

Needless to say, my blood pressure was a little up at the appointment. 122/84, which isn't bad (in fact, it's lower than the readings I used to get when I first started going there), but it is higher than what I've had lately. The nurse weighed me on this ancient scale today that I am sure was not calibrated. Isn't the needle supposed to be in the middle when it's on 0? This needle was floored. I ended up with a total gain (according to the dysfunctional scale) of 20 lbs. I expected a lecture from the Dr. W, but actually, she was ecstatic. She said I was doing great with my weight gain, which really puzzled me. I reminded her that she told me she didn't want me going over 20 lbs. She told me that, for most women, she'll tell them they shouldn't gain more than 10 lbs, for example, and they'll gain 60 lbs. I guess when you look at it that way, I am doing well. I still hate seeing those numbers creep up though. After that she measured my belly and we listened to Peep's heart (yup, still beating away!) and that was about it. We went over my birth plan (no problems there). Then she told me that starting at my next appointment (2 weeks from now) they would start giving me a copy of my records to carry with me at all times, in case I go into labor and have to go to the hospital. Somehow, that really scared me. I keep thinking in terms of weeks... I have 9 weeks 6 days left. Peep can't possibly be born much before that, right? So preparing for a birth at any time starting at 32 weeks is a bit freaky to me. I can't even get in for my hospital tour until May 14th! Heck, I still don't know how to get to the hospital!

No comments: