Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Showers And Other Stuff

My cousin and I have been emailing back and forth a lot lately. It’s nice to have someone in the family going through this at the same time. So I asked her if she knew when her shower would be (not everyone has surprise showers, after all). She replied that she didn't know when hers will be, but she did know her sister and mother were aware of when mine will be because they're planning hers around mine. She said she figured both of ours would be in May. :D Why the big grins? First, call me crazy, but a small part of me actually wondered if I would have a shower at all since nobody has talked to me about it. Even though my wedding shower was a surprise, they at least talked to me a bit about the planning and who I wanted to invite. Second, I was also afraid they would plan a joint shower with my cousin. I don't want to be selfish, but this *is* her 2nd child and my 1st (well, hopefully 1st living). I certainly think she's entitled to a shower given the circumstances with her 1st, but I also feel I'm entitled to my own day and I don't want to share it. Of course, this means there are probably 2 more months until the shower... But I think I can make it now that I know there will definitely be one! :D

The other thing I had said to Brian regarding showers is that Mother's Day is in early May this year (May 8th) and I thought it would have been cool to have a shower on that day. I had told my sister that I would prefer my shower be no later than early May, just in case, which is why I made this leap. BUT it isn't likely because one of my aunts had her twin boys on Mother's Day the year they were born so she ALWAYS celebrates their birthday on Mother's Day. Brian has disagreed with this practice pretty much the whole time we've been together and he told me last night that once the baby is born, there will be no more going to my aunt's house for Mother's Day...that it will be *my* day. I was a bit surprised by how strongly he felt. (Of course, the twins will be 17 this year...it's not like there will really be any more parties anyway.) So I said why wait until next year..I'm already a mom. You know what he said? Because we didn't celebrate Father's Day last year when I was pregnant with Arabella. He explicitly told me he didn't *want* to celebrate it because it was so early in my pregnancy! So I told him we could celebrate it this year, and for all he knows, maybe Peep will be born on Father's Day. He didn't like the idea of sharing the holiday *at all*. LOL! I also tease him because his birthday is 13 days before my due date, so I keep saying Peep will be born on his birthday, which really riles him up because he doesn't want to share his birthday. I think it would be nice though...put a nice spin on the day since it was on his birthday last year that we had confirmation from my doctor that I was pregnant with Arabella.

Fertility Friend and Snugglepie both say I have 100 days to go today... I'm thinking it's probably more like 90. ;)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I'm glad to hear you are definitely having a shower! And it should definitely be a shower of your own, not with your cousin. Everything is falling into place :)