Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I Want It Done...On My Schedule

I've been thinking a lot lately about how we as a society have this need to control everything, to have everything occur when we feel is best. Scheduled C-sections and inducements when there is no medical requirement come to mind, especially. Apparently, these are all the rage now for those with busy schedules who need to ensure labor and giving birth don't interfere with a prior engagement. I even read an article recently about a growing number of celebrities who are opting for these non-medically necessary interventions because they can then pick the day (and even the time, in the case of a C-section) the baby will be born. No offense meant to anyone who has chosen this path, but to me, there's something to be said for letting our bodies make that decision for us. It's what has worked for generations before us, and what will continue to work for generations long after we're gone. Our bodies know best when the baby is ready to come into this world, not our date books, and that's what we should be listening to.

Yes, I'm a control freak. I like knowing when, where, how, and all the other important details so I can plan my life around the event. But babies don't adhere to schedules, and I don't expect them to. I guess I just can't imagine going through extra pain and healing time just so I can force that baby come when I feel is best. It just doesn't seem worth it...

[Please know that I am definitely not thinking of women who require these medical interventions in order to have a healthy baby. That is certainly a valid reason for it!! I just have a hard time dealing with people wanting to schedule everything these days...]

3 comments:

Crista said...

Amen, sister! (And that's from one control freak to another...) :)

Jackie said...

I'm with you girl. Quite a strange phenomenon if you ask me.

Jackie

Kether said...

that's the funniest part about my water breaking. He came in his own time no matter what me and the doctors wanted! =)