Monday, March 14, 2005

Gender

It's funny what people say. I'm asked all the time if we know the gender or if we'll be finding out. When I say no, quite a few people look crestfallen, like they now have no idea what to get the little babe growing inside of me since they don't know if they should go with pink or blue, ruffles or puppies. I find people's predictions to be quite interesting, though. My FIL keeps saying he thinks Peep is a girl - which is ironic because he gave Peep a toy Hummer (the vehicle) for Christmas. My mother also says girl, but I think that's wishful thinking. Most people have indicated that they thought boy but what's interesting is that on my poll on my Fertility Friend pregnancy page, girl is winning out: 60% to 40% who think Peep is a boy. I don't know whom those 15 votes are from, but it is an interesting perspective... Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

On a sort of related note, one of my SILs told us last night that they discovered something quite interesting about her puppy when they got her spayed. She was an it. In that, she had both ovaries and an undescended testicle: a hermaphrodyte. Those of you who have been following my blog all along know that I went through a bit of a crisis back toward the beginning of this pregnancy when I happened upon several specials on The Discovery Channel on hermaphrodytes and other gender issues. Sure, it's easy to resolve these issues with a dog. Once it is spayed or neutered, it doesn't matter much anyway what it once was because those hormone productions are pretty much gone. But a person is something different. Decisions have to be made, decisions that can have HUGE ramifications later on in life for both the child and you. Decisions I hope I NEVER have to make. Chances are, I won't have to, but of course, it's at the back of my mind again...

2 comments:

Kether said...

You and I shouldn't be allowed to watch Discovery channel and other shows. Do you remember when I saw the show where a woman developed an extra set of breasts because of prengancy?
I think even without the show you'd wonder about the hermaphrodite issue. I did. Only briefly, but I did.
Peep is going to be fine.
15 weeks...
(that may seem like a lot...but think Liam is half that old! look how fast that went!)

Jackie said...

My prediction is girl (I'm usually wrong though). I DO think it's definitely one gender or the other and not a mixture (and I'm pretty sure I'm right about that). That was the only thing I asked at my last ultrasound - the technican thought I was joking, but I wasn't entirely!

Jackie