Friday, March 25, 2005

Childbirth Class on DVD?

That darn OB got me thinking...

Has anyone bought (or did one of the rental programs) a childbirth class at home DVD? I'm not fond of the whole childbirth class thing, and the classes around here aren't fitting into my schedule anyway. I planned on skipping it altogether with all the reading I've done, but my OB seems to think I should go. So I was looking into either doing a rental class to watch at home or buying a DVD. These are the options I've found:

Great Expectations: Laugh And Learn About Childbirth
Childbirth Preparation Class on DVD
Childbirth Class to Go - rental
Labor of Love Childbirth Class
Gift of Motherhood Childbirth Education DVDs and Book

Has anybody bought/rented any of these? What did you think of them? Would you recommend them? Why or why not? I think I will definitely go with one of these...I just haven't decided which one yet. Then at least the OB can't say I was totally unprepared (as she seems to think I will be now, in spite of the reading).

1 comment:

Crista said...

Hey Carrie!

Finally, I'm able to comment...blogger has not been kind...but anyway, so glad you have been doing well. And YES, we are doing the birthing classes on DVD thing. We weren't huge on the classes idea either, and we saw an ad for the Great Expectations one. I hadn't actually even heard of the others, so can't say that we made an extremely informed consumer decision, but the one we got is decent. I've been meaning to post about it, actually, in case anyone else out there would be interested too. The teacher is a tad annoying at times, but all in all is nice and informative, and since you can watch it in the comfort of your own living room, you can laugh and comment whatever the heck you want, so it works. Honestly, I haven't learned a TON from the DVD, since I tend to be a big reader as well and was already familiar with most of the info provided, but it's kind of nice to get it in a different medium, and sort of as a reinforcer, you know? I think it's helped more on a psychological level, to feel that I'm doing all I possibly can to be prepared. Let us know what you decide...I'd definitely be interested in hearing about the others you listed as well. GL!