Thursday, March 17, 2005

Mission Accomplished!

Well, sort of. I have another thing I can check off my list at least. I sucked it up and called the local pediatrician's office to make an appointment for a new patient consultation. As much of a planner as I am, I HATE making phone calls. I have some unexplained fear of calling anywhere to ask anything. I also am not particularly fond of the whole interviewing part of this anyway. It's why I also haven't started researching daycare yet, even though I really should be. But I did it! One call down at least...

The neat thing about the pediatrician we're considering is that he's the son of my pediatrician. But because of that, he hasn't been in the business very long either. He's only been in practice since about a year ago. I haven't decided yet if this is good or bad. On the one hand, having just gone through med school and residency, he would be exposed to the latest information. On the other hand, he doesn't have much hands on experience. But my favorite OB also hasn't been in practice very long either, so it could work out well. My appointment isn't until April 20th so I have another month to build up enough courage to ask the questions that need to be asked. At least I made the call.

I also talked to work about how I can fit in pumping when I return to work after having the baby. I'm glad I walked into that discussion having already read the law. We have a strange schedule at work: 6.5 hrs/day Monday through Wednesday, 9 hrs on Thursday, and 4 hours on Friday. This means that Monday through Wednesday we have a paid 15 minute break in the morning and an unpaid 1 hour lunch in the afternoon, two paid 15 minute breaks and an unpaid 1 hour lunch on Thursday, and no breaks at all on Friday. I asked if I could break my 1 hour lunches into two 30 minute breaks, but I was told they would have to research it further. Then I asked about where. We have a few empty offices in the building and I was hoping to snag one of them, but the only place she offered was the bathroom. YUCK! Fortunately, the law says that an employer must make a reasonable effort to provide a private place to pump and a bathroom stall is not an acceptable place. It goes even further to define "reasonable effort" as "any effort that would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of the employer's business." One step further, "undue hardship" is defined as "any action that requires significant difficulty or expense when considered in relation to factors such as the size of the business, its financial resources and the nature and structure of its operation." So I honestly don't think they can deny finding me a private space, and I did offer up the suggestion of a couple of the offices I was thinking of. I also provided them with a copy of the wording from the statute. It's pending further research so we'll have to wait and see. While the law does say they can't deny me to pump or breastfeed while on my lunch or break, it doesn't say they have to change my break schedule so I may have a problem there... And while a 15 minute break may be enough once I'm used to doing it, it won't be in the beginning. Here's hoping I can work something out with them! At least the wheels are in motion.

It appears that Brian is getting anxious to meet our baby no-name. Every week I read to him what Fertility Friend puts up on my pregnancy page for the week. This week's said:
Your baby weighs more than 2 lbs (1000g), measures 9.6 inches from crown to rump (24cm) and its total length is about 15.3 inches (34cm). If your baby were born now, she would have about an 85% chance of surviving.

Brian's response? "Well let's get that baby out of there!" I don't think I'm ready for that!

No comments: