Monday, January 31, 2005

Oddities of Parenthood

Yesterday out of my continuing restlessness to prepare for baby, I dragged Brian down to the Danbury Mall to check out what they had in The Right Start. The last time I stepped foot in that store was about a week before my miscarriage in July. But I remembered they had good quality stuff (read: expensive, but sometimes it's worth it). So as we browsed around the selection, we came across the clearance section of the store and found some Medela Single Electric Breast Pumps on sale. Amazingly, Brian did not bolt out of the store right then and there, but actually brought a box down from the high shelf for me to inspect. Marked down from $85 to $50, it seemed like a deal to me, although they do say they are only intended for occasional use, not the use someone working full time would require. But Brian said we might as well give it a shot considering the price. I couldn't believe that he was holding an adult conversation with me about breast pumps of all things! So of course, someone had to be the child and I spewed my usual litany of cow analogies. As Kether said, there is no digninty in pumping.

We also managed to agree on a high chair! We both really wanted something more simple and easy to clean. We liked the Eddie Bauer wooden one at Babies R Us, but it doesn't adjust at all. I liked Fisher Price's Aquarium Healthy Care (I think that's the line) but the pad left much to be desired. Brian came across the Zooper Peas & Carrots as we were browsing through the store, brought my attention to it, and it turned out that both of us LOVED it! Well, not the price tag, but it has nice clean lines, it has height adjustments and recline settings, and the pad is super easy to clean. So we ended up setting up a registry there, knowing we weren't likely to get anything on it because of the price. At least I got him to agree on something, though!

Zooper Peas & Carrots in bubbles print


Other than that, I'm still antsy. I want to bring things HOME for the baby, not just pick them out for the registries. (SIGH)

1 comment:

Kether said...

I dig it! We haven't gotten a highchair yet, reserving that purchase for later so maybe my wallet will have recovered by then and I'll be able to get it =)
Yes, no dignity whatsoever in pumping. Its awful. But, I've got to force myself to do it more. *sigh*
I do feel like a cow and occasionally moo.