Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Ouch!

Okay, who thought it was a great idea to sleep on your side during pregnancy? My hips have been hurting me as it is, but sleeping exclusively on them has been pure torture. I should say laying on them since I'm not getting much sleep these days. I want to sleep on my stomach, but my belly ligaments hurt when I do, and I'm supposed to be getting myself out of the habit of sleeping on my back. Every time I slide over onto my back, Brian reminds me in his so helpful way, "You're not supposed to be lying on your back!" I managed to get some sleep in a weird modified side/stomach sleep, but it made my arm fall asleep pretty fast, too. And I hate the body pillow I bought-it's useless for me. I know I've said this before, but I can't believe how much my hips hurt so early on! What the heck? Is my body getting ready to deliver a 12 lb baby?? They were pretty wide to begin with...I can't imagine them needing to get any wider!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I can totally relate! My hips end up hurting too and in my sleep I always end up turning onto my back. I probaby only get a few hours of actual "sleeping on my side" time.

I wouldn't worry too much - from everything I've heard, your body will let you know if/when you shouldn't be on your back. Just try to get some sleep - that's what is most important.

MrsEvilGenius said...

Aaaggh! Count me in! I'm only 18 weeks for Pete's sake, how can my hips hurt this badly already?

And don't even joke about 12lb babies, lol. My DS was 10lbs 8oz and both my DDs right at 9lbs each.

Hmmmm ... maybe if I layed off the Krispy Kreme?

Naaah!

-Blue

Unknown said...

From what I understand (mind you, I've never been pregnant) the problem with lying on your back is that your lungs and stuff get squished by the baby. Maybe you can get a wedge to put under your pillow so your upper body is elevated enough not to get squished by the baby. Just a thought.
-Carrie Jo

Jackie said...

I hear you! I've been practicing for when I really need to sleep on my side and it's killing my shoulder of all things! I keep waking up on my back too. Hopefully the body just knows what's the right thing to do?!

That crib is gorgeous by the way!

Jackie

Rosanne said...

Carrie, I'm with you on sleeping on my stomach. Hope you get some sleep tonight!

R