Monday, January 17, 2005

Bridal Gowns

Today we went shopping for my sister's bridal gown. She's getting married October 8th this year and seeing as she hadn't yet started looking for her gown, I made the suggestion last week that perhaps we should go looking soon. Especially since I'm matron of honor in the wedding and with my expanding waistline, the longer we wait, the harder it will be for me to guess what size I may be in October. So off we went with one of the other members of the bridal party to David's Bridal. It wasn't her first choice, but I reminded her that the dress is only worn for one day and since she's on a budget (as I was), it's a good place to start. After all, I got my dress there and it was just fine.

I have this thing about salespeople... It really irritates me how they're so sneaky and conniving, always trying to up the sale. So the first rule is to not make an appointment; less time for them to talk you into bigger purchases. We picked out 4 dresses that seemed like they would look good on my sister (she really wasn't sure what she wanted to wear) and registered to get a fitting room. Of course, right away they tried to talk her into a pair of shoes. And a $150 veil (she was planning on using mine). But all in all, I'm proud of her. She stood her ground in the end. And it was a simple choice. The first dress she tried on was her favorite (and ours!). The saleslady did say they also had it with a train, and since she wanted a bit of a train, she did end up trying on 5 dresses technically, but it was *the* one. Simple but classy. Just enough ornamentation without being too much.

The first dress

The final choice



After that, we looked at bridesmaids dresses. It was kind of cool having a say in what I'd be wearing, especially since I'm probably the biggest of the girls in the wedding and was hoping she wouldn't pick out something that would make me look horrible. Yes, it's her day, but I don't have to look like crap right? :) It came down to 2 dresses: the same one the girls wore in my wedding and this cute tea length number. Not entirely sure, we left with just her dress and plans to come back with the rest of the girls. But that tea length dress was on our minds...and after eating lunch, she made her decision: we would go for it. So 2 of us got our dresses today (and I'm happy to say that the one I got is the same size my wedding gown was...hopefully I'll have to have it taken in by October). Next weekend we focus on shoes!

Bridesmaids' dress in the color we got (Peridot)

4 comments:

Rosanne said...

So beautiful! Great taste!

Lauren said...

The dresses both look beautiful! I'm sure it will be a great wedding. I'm glad she was able to make up her mind so fast!

Jackie said...

My wedding dress ended up being the very first one I tried on too. Your sister's wedding dress is beautiful and I think bridemaid's dress is stunning too. How exciting!

Jackie

Kether said...

Finally! Blogger hasn't been letting me comment!
Carrie the dresses are beautiful. How exciting for your sister. I love weddings. =)