Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Zen Mama

As the snow falls outside tonight, I took the plunge and weighed myself. I knew it wasn't going to be good news... I've been eating a TON of junk lately since that's all I've been craving and I haven't exercised since October. It was only a matter of time before this would start to catch up to me. 10 lbs gained overall. 2 lbs since my appointment only a week ago!! Okay, so it could be part of that normal fluctuation...I weighed myself right after eating dinner (and then prompty drowned my sorrows in a piece of Jubilee Roll) but the fact remains - if I continue on this path, I'll be as big as a house come the end of June. I needed to do something, and walking in the cold snow without the benefit of all my layering pieces (which are now too small) was not appealing. So I pulled out Zen Mama.

I can't remember if I bought it when I was pregnant with Arabella, or afterwards when I was planning for my next pregnancy (or at least, hoping for the next one), but I wanted to get a prenatal yoga DVD. There actually is a yoga studio in our town, but they don't offer prenatal yoga. The nerve! In fact, nobody does. The closest place that offers it is in Canton/Avon, which is about 20-30 minutes away from my house. I refuse to trudge that far away to go to any sort of "exercise" class. Of course, I've had this DVD for months now and haven't used it either. I also have a nice YMCA membership that's going completely to waste...but that's not the topic. So I popped Zen Mama into the DVD player, unrolled the sticky mat, and got to work. It was a little difficult doing the poses with my dog licking my feet or face, whichever she could get at, but at least I can feel like I accomplished something. 1 hour of yoga counts, right? If nothing else, it's taught me that my muscles have tightened up immensely... I suppose I better be a Zen Mama at least a couple times a week between now and the day Peep comes into this world if I have any hope of 1) having a somewhat easier birth (or so the legend goes) and 2) fitting into a matron-of-honor dress for my sister's wedding in early October. I can do this, I swear! In the meantime, I should probably lay off the McDonald's as well...

1 comment:

Kether said...

Omigod! I am so proud of you! I can't even conceive of getting on the floor on a mat. Keep doing it the whole pg and you'll probably even be able to put on your own shoes at the end UNLIKE me...
YAY Carrie!