Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Another Career Path

As I indicated in my original post, Meet and Greet, I have a multitude of interests that are constantly changing. I think this really drives my husband crazy sometimes, but he tries his best to tolerate it. Since I've met him, I've dabbled in learning auto repair (no lie!), worked for one day as a car salesperson, was a baker's assistant, considered becoming a police officer, thought about being an Assessor (which is actually directly related to my current job as a secretary in an Assessor's Office), and went back to school last Fall to pursue teaching secondary level English. This is only a small sampling of the constantly changing career options I've considered (on top of all of my other interests!), mind you.

After my miscarriage this July, I thought long and hard about my latest decision. I know many teachers, so I've become quite familiar with what is required of them, as well as the new "No Child Left Behind" law. While I agree all children should be well-educated, I don't agree with the way this law is executed. Knowing that, I decided that it would be ridiculous for me to get into a field that I don't currently agree with how it is run. (I'm cutting the explanation *real* short to save you from dying of boredom.) That was on top of all of the problems I was having with UCONN's various departments in actually keeping me enrolled and giving me financial aid. (I was also worried about the stress of taking classes while working full time being too much while TTC or pregnant.) I therefore withdrew from the B.A. English degree program at UCONN at the end of July after only completing 4 of the 20 courses I needed to take, not entirely sure if I would return.

I had a moment of epiphany over the holiday weekend, though. Brian and I always discuss moving somewhere isolated. The problem is, there aren't any jobs for which we are qualified. I have an Associate's degree in Liberal Arts & Sciences, but that doesn't get you the kind of jobs you find in "the country." I had many times joked about becoming a park ranger, but again, no qualifications. However, it seemed like a good idea... Everywhere we wanted to move was near a National Park. That was the one constant employer available to us. Then I remembered that the Community College I attended for my degree had a program in Recreational Leadership. It would result in an A.S. degree that might make it easier for me to obtain employment in a National Park in something other than food service or retail. The more I thought about it, the more perfect it seemed! I love the outdoors and am always embarking on activities that take me there, away from it all. What better way to ensure you enjoy your job than by combining it with something you already love?! And that has always been a problem for me... I can't be satisfied with money, because money doesn't matter to me. What matters most is whether or not I enjoy what I'm doing, and right now, I most certainly do not.

On a whim, I emailed the Admissions Office at my alma matter last night, asking about what would be required to enter into this program since I am a former student. I received a reply this morning; not only would it be super easy to be re-admitted, but (even though classes started a week ago) they said it would be no problem to get into classes this Fall if I wanted to! I wasn't expecting to go back right away... I figured, I would get the paperwork out of the way and start in the Spring Semester. But the idea is tempting... Classes are about 1/3 the cost of what they were at UCONN, so I could pay out of pocket without Financial Aid for 1 course at least. And I don't doubt that I could catch up from last week. But I have to make a decision today. The first class I'd have to take is held Wednesday nights, so I'd need to get all the paperwork done today. It won't be the end of the world if I wait until the Spring to start, but it would be nice to get one course out of the way. Hmmm.... Decisions, decisions!

(BTW, in case you couldn't tell, I'm also somewhat impulsive. When I see something I'm interested in, I immerse myself in it immediately and fully. There's nothing wrong with that, right? :) )

3 comments:

Christine said...

Wow! It is so great that youcan think so out of the box for yourself!! So many of us only see ourselves in one role, or type of role, that we really limit ourselves.

Just a thought before you sign up for classes though, have you checked the job availability/security for national park ranger? My parents travel to national parks ever year, and mad the comment that they don't see many rangers any more. Apparently the budget has eliminated many of those jobs and replaced them with volunteers. I would hate to see you do all the work to find that there is no job in the end!!

Kether said...

I think its great that you have the opportunity to get back into school this semester. Speaking as a community college employee, that's the beauty of our system! Maybe your community college has a career center that can show you the availability of jobs in that field and the potential jobs one can do with the Rec. degree. It sounds as though it would give you some versitility and be fun to boot!

Carrie said...

I should have specified that I'm not depending on a national park job. In some areas, they are plentiful, in others not much so. But this degree would open a lot more doors for me in areas where I could work outdoors or work with children, both of which are things I would enjoy. I'm so excited!!