Sunday, September 26, 2004

Blah Blah Blah

It's been one of those lazy kind of weekends around our house. We were inspired to go for a hike, but never managed to lace up the boots. Both yesterday and this mornings, we didn't even roll out of bed until after 9AM (although, in our defense, we did stay up until about 1AM the nights before). I hate a wasted weekend. I'm one of those people who goes on vacation and crams in as much as possible while there, oftentimes waking up earlier than I do at home so I can see and do as much as possible while I'm there. It's not that I don't know how to relax; it's more that I'm not always comfortable with sitting idle and just letting my brain wander. I know it's a defense mechanism, but most of the time I just don't feel like facing what's really on my mind. If I keep busy, I don't have to think about it. I think most people do this, to some extent. It is, of course, why I have mini mental breakdowns from time to time, but I deal with them when they crop up. No big deal.

So when I finally did manage to leave the house yesterday, I did have a mission to accomplish. The first was to replace our printer. Not that it's old or anything, in fact we got the Lexmark a little over two years ago. But it's one of those all-in-one jobbies, you know those things that can do 4 functions but doesn't do any single one of them well. I was getting really irritated with it not scanning or printing photos well. DH reminded me that since all-in-ones have that tendency, to look for a separate printer and scanner next time. I was also irritated that the Lexmark never did work with our network so I wasn't able to print directly from my iBook to it. I had to send the files to the PC and then go over to the PC and print from there. Instead of having a financial overload, I did take it easy and only buy a printer...except, I bought one that was about $80 more than I planned on spending. I'm one of those feature freaks; if it has a few extra features and only costs a little bit more, I get that model instead figuring it's a better value. The printer I bought can print directly on CDs and DVDs. Cool, huh? I have no idea if I'll ever use that. But it is compatible with my iBook, at least, and it's supposed to print phenomenal photos, so I'm happy.

From there we headed over to Pier 1. I finally convinced DH that our couch is too big and it's time to get a smaller one. We got the big couch when we lived in an apartment that had a HUGE living room. The one where we live now is only about 12'x14'...not big enough for a huge leather sectional. Plus, we have a bunch of junk in what I refer to as the baby's room (even though there's no baby yet or anymore) and I'd really like to reorganize that room. As much as DH hates Pier 1, he went in to look with me. We did find a couch that I like (DH isn't fond of anything from Pier 1, but did agree that the fabric and color were at least kid friendly). Since we only had my Blazer last night, though, we couldn't buy it then. We're going back today before my cousin's daughter's birthday party with DH's pickup truck to get it. Our old couch will be donated to the local Salvation Army. I feel like I've done something this weekend now, at least!

But you see, DH is a gear hound and as much of a shopper as I am, if not more. He always complains that I get to spend money on myself and he never does. That is, until we step into EMS. Then he's like a kid in a candy store. Last night he ended up adding another pack with all the bells and whistles and a pair of sandals (the first he has ever purchased in the 9 years I've known him). Why do I say "another pack"? Well, because he already has a daypack, a winter rucksack, and an overnight pack. You really don't need more than that, especially with the kind of hiking we do. But DH can't ever get enough...he's more of a packrat than I am. So I told him if he bought it, he'd have to get rid of one of the others. That's the new rule...can't bring anything in until you take something out. He's so funny, though!

Well, I'm off... I have a lot to do today before that party! Sorry for the drivel today but I figured I'd better add something. If nothing else, it gives you background as to how utterly normal (and boring) I can be. :)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Testing... I was told blogger wasn't allowing comments. Let's see if this works...

Lauren said...

Love the new couch!

Well, sometimes a lazy weeked is good - especially if you're always cramming lots of stuff into your weekends. It sounds like my kind of weekend - do nothing around the house and then when you do finally go out - go shopping!

Amanda said...

lazy weekends are always nice