Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Status

I spoke with my sister and it sounds like they're planning on waking my dad up tomorrow sometime. He remained stable overnight and isn't as restless anymore, which is good. They also did a CT scan, which apparently didn't show any problems...also good. Hopefully they really do wake him tomorrow since his birthday is Thursday. I'd hate for him to spend it unconscious in the hospital. Otherwise, there's no further news. We have to wait until he's awake to find out what's functioning, what isn't, and if there's any permanent damage. I'll probably try to get to the hospital again tomorrow, even if I don't manage to get any sleep again tonight. In the meantime, my brother will be spending the night with him so our mother can get some rest at home tonight.

I'm quite on edge right now. I'm now operating on 2 hrs of sleep, thanks to Margaret's recent bout of LONG daytime periods of alertness and very short and infrequent cat naps. My phone has been ringing off the hook due to concerned family members calling and asking what's going on. I even had to entertain a visitor this morning (one of my father's sisters), which I barely managed to shower in between Margaret's screaming fits before my aunt arrived.

This month is hard enough as it is. Next Tuesday is the one year anniversary of when we learned that we had lost Arabella (and I had the D&C). They estimated at that time that I had lost her on the preceding Saturday (July 17th), which was when we celebrated my father's 50th birthday. I had some bright red bleeding earlier in that day and called the doctor's office about it. They assured me that, since I wasn't soaking through a pad an hour, it was probably not that serious and that I should just rest with my legs up (which I dutifully did, even though I was supposed to co-host my dad's birthday party). This just further taints the month of July for me. Can we just skip it next year?

1 comment:

Kether said...

Carrie I will be thinking of you. My heart goes out to you and I wish I lived closer so that I could do *something* even if that was just to lend an ear--or watch Margaret while you get some rest.