Monday, July 25, 2005

Homecoming, Part 2

HOPEFULLY, Dad is supposed to come home today. This is actually the 3rd day they said he would go home. The 1st was a week ago when he ended up staying because the stint had a blockage at about 4AM that day. Then he was supposed to go home Saturday. That was delayed because they forgot to take him off the blood thinners early enough to remove one of the machines that was helping the blood move through his heart. I spoke with him on the phone Saturday and he was disappointed, but did realize that it was a good idea to be cautious...especially in light of what had happened earlier in the week. So I repeat, HOPEFULLY, Dad comes home today. I know he's eager to move on from hospital fare, if nothing else. :D

To those of you out in blogger-world with children who had reflux, how did you know? What did you do? I think Maggie might have a minor case of acid reflux (or actually, silent reflux). She doesn't spit up, but lately, she's been arching her back to get away and screaming during 2-3 feedings a day...usually her evening ones. I didn't make the connection until I was looking up her symptoms in Baby 411 and found the reference to reflux. She used to do the same thing from time to time during our nighttime breastfeedings (when I was still breastfeeding), although she didn't scream like she does now. But she did cry. Clearly, she's in pain but also very hungry when this occurs. I figured I'd give it a couple of days to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Oddly, some days are better than others. But I still think I'm going to call her pediatrician today to talk to him about it. I don't really want her on medication if it isn't absolutely necessary...but I don't want her in pain, either. Poor baby!

2 comments:

~Tanya~ said...

First off, Hope your Dad makes it home from the hospital today. Been thinking about all of you.

As far as reflux, my new little niece has been dx w/ acid reflex. So far no meds but my sis is bringing her in today actually b/c of her doing the same as you describe. Arching her hback & taking over an hour to eat 2oz. The dr suggested so far that she sleep on her stomach no blankets & very tight fitted sheets. Nothing else in the crib and also elevate the head. Not sure exactly what they did but they had to buy some sort of a sling. Also she has to keep Aria up right for atleast 20 mins. after eating. Dr. also recommended the dr. browns bottles.
i can talk to my sister & get more details & let you know. Aria's varies from day to day & from feeding to feeding btw. Also when she does spit up it is more of a yellow, almost neon like in color. She also coughs from it.

Amanda said...

Carrie- I hope your dad gets to come home today, I am thinking of you all

and I can't believe Maggie is one month old!