Monday, November 01, 2004

Where I Stand

I'm back from my 1st prenatal appointment. I don't really have any answers right now - we'll have to wait until Friday for more info, as that is when my 1st ultrasound will be. But the doctor kept trying to reassure me that just because I miscarried once doesn't mean it will happen again (what she doesn't know is that I have so many friends online who have had multiple miscarriages, so this has, of course, colored my perspective of the situation). I really liked this doctor - she's young and pregnant herself, so maybe that helps. Of course, I'll be bounced around between her and 3 other doctors in the practice (2 males and 1 more female). She was very thorough, had a lot of information to share (like how nobody in their practice has ever seen a patient with listeria .... she herself eats deli meat and feels that it is very unlikely deli meat would cause problems. She likened it to worrying about crossing the street because you might get hit by a bus...). She also seemed to be very understanding about my perspective and was trying her best to make me feel comfortable.

So I will be having an ultrasound on Friday to see what's going on. Then we'll go from there. I also have to go back on Monday because my old white coat hypertension reared its ugly head. Since I'm a new patient, she wants to see me again in a week to see what's going on and I have to keep monitoring at home. This (of all things!) might get me labeled as "high risk" - not the PCOS. But we'll have to see how that goes. If that is the case, I'll have office visits every 3 weeks instead of every 4, which would be fine by me. The closer of a watch they have on me, the safer I will feel - even if it doesn't really mean anything in the end.

That's where I stand... my spotting had stopped but, of course, the pelvic exam today started it up again. At least I'll have my ultrasound in 3 1/2 days (it will be at 12:30 on Friday).

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get all the answers today, but I'm really glad that you liked the doctor and had a good appointment (and that the spotting had stopped of course - that's good news!). Here's hoping that Friday comes quickly!

Jackie

Lauren said...

I'm glad everything went well and that you liked the doctor - that is so important. She does sound like she was very good and very thorough. Friday will get here in no time and you'll see that little beating heart!