Monday, November 22, 2004

The Most Wonderful Sound in The World

Thump thump thump. A noise we take for granted. A sweet, sweet noise, nonetheless.

As many of you know, today was the last day in my critical weekend hurdle to get over. It was at 9w4d that I learned Arabella's heart had stopped beating. As a last minute decision last Thursday, I decided to rent a doppler after all in case I could hear the baby's heart. My OB wasn't exactly in favor of it, but I promised to not fall apart if I didn't hear anything. Especially now - it's still pretty early. Nonetheless, when the package arrived at work today, I immediately put aside a portion of my lunch break to play with the new toy. I swore I heard that heart fluttering away for a brief moment on my lunch break, but I was running out of time and still hadn't eaten, so I had to give up and get moving. After work, the first thing I did was slather that ultrasound gel on the probe and start looking. I followed the advice of the girls on FF's June Expecting board - look low, go slow, and use a little pressure. A rolled up towel under the hips also works wonders. This last bit of advice is mainly for those with tipped uteruses (or would that be uteri?) (I don't know if I have one), but I tried it anyway. It couldn't hurt!

After about 10 minutes of trying, and listening to my own pulse, and what I think was the placenta (sounds like wind in the trees), I got it. Then I lost it. Then I spent another 5 minutes trying to find it again. And I did. Persistance paid off. I recorded what I heard and went back to the kitchen to listen to the reference CD. It sounded like what the CD had as an example for a 10 week old fetus, so I was on the right track. I recorded it to the computer and counted away...the recording isn't perfect, but I counted about 160 beats per minute. Yup, that's not my pulse I heard!! :) Pure Heaven in a recording! I wasn't particularly worried today that I had lost this little one, but this tiny bit of reassurance was worth that rental fee. :)

Now all I have to do is figure out where I can host the file so I can share it with you!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Wonderful news, Carrie! Every little bit of reassurance helps along the way. I'm so glad you were able to find your little bean's heart :)

Kether said...

Carrie,
Made me smile again. So glad that you heard that heartbeat thumpin' and now you can hear it any time you want.
Yay!
And I'm so proud at how you've passed the hurdle from your loss with Arabella. You are very strong and that little bean inside you is very, very lucky.