Friday, May 20, 2005

I Love A Man In Uniform

The car seat installation/inspection went pretty well, in spite of my being a nervous wreck. There's something about policemen that makes me really uneasy around them, making me feel guilty when I didn't even do anything wrong. I guess that's why I put off this inspection for so long. Fortunately, it was pretty painless. I parked where I was told to and went into the lobby to let him know I was there. There was a *really* cute (and young!!) police officer who told me it would be just a few minutes. Once Officer Inspector (names changed to protect the innocent) came out into the lobby, I had to fill out a short form. He tried to put me at ease, telling me how his sister is also due June 23rd and his children were born around the same day. (Did I mention Officer Inspector was also kind of cute? Maybe it's just the uniform...) Anyway, we went outside and he checked my installation. He said it was pretty good and seemed impressed when he asked who installed it and learned that I had, but it still needed to be tightened up just a bit. So he checked his list to make sure the carseat wasn't recalled. And then in less than a minute, Officer Inspector had that carseat removed and reinstalled perfectly. I was impressed! He had me feel the difference - the seat wouldn't budge! He did say that out of the approximately 100 seats he had inspected in the last year, there was only one that was better than mine (a person who came in just last week, actually, and that one didn't need any adjustments). I don't know if he was just saying that to make me feel better or if he meant it, but it did the trick. Of course, all I could think was, "Geez, had I made the call sooner, I could have had the best installation he's seen in the last year." :D He told me that once Peep arrives, I can call again and he'll show me how to adjust the harness so the buckles are where they're supposed to be on the baby. And then it was over.

Any of you out there who are expecting, or already have babies and haven't had your seat checked, if they offer the service in your area - go for it! It was free, it didn't take long at all, and it's totally worth it! Even if you're afraid of the police, like chicken me. :D

No comments: