Monday, December 13, 2004

Vacations Are Too Short

Well, yesterday I hung out in the room for a couple of hours after dropping DH off at the slopes, and then ate my way through Vermont. I started at a cider mill, progressed to the Cabot Annex Store (can't get enough of that cheese, and all the free samples!) and attached Lake Champlain Chocolates, and then to Ben & Jerry's. Did some shopping in Waitsfield and Stowe, including for the baby. I found this adorable boutique in Stowe called Puddle Jumpers and I couldn't resist. To be fair, 2 of the things I bought were on sale, but the last one was a doozy and more than I would normally spend. The girl who waited on me was quite visibly pregnant and asked if I needed anything gift-wrapped. So we ended up getting into a discussion about how I'm planning *really* far in advance, but she seemed to understand. After that, I picked up DH and we ate at Gracie's, a local hangout/restaurant that was centered around a dog theme. It was cute and the food was great (and more reasonably priced than anything else locally!).

As we were relaxing back at the hotel with our bellies full, we discovered Becky picked up some souvenirs from the trip - fleas! UGH!! I had just talked to the vet a week ago about flea/tick preventatives and pregnancy. He thought it would be fine to discontinue the use of it for the winter to reduce my exposure, but that didn't last long. We only found 2 on her, but it only takes 2 to leave eggs behind, so we stopped at Petco on the way home today to get the usual stuff and DH put it on her for me. I'm not touching her for at least 12 hours. Hopefully that will be enough... Lesson learned; don't stay in a hotel catering to dogs unless your dog has flea stuff on. I have to say that I was entirely grossed out once I found them last night, but what do you expect in a hotel full of dogs? I imagine there would be fleas from time to time, unfortunately... But YUCK!

So now I'm home again. It will be nice to sleep in my own bed (especially since I know there are no vermin in it!), but I miss being on vacation. Having someone make the bed for me and clean the bathroom, being able to eat out and not care what I'm eating, and to spend $$$ of course. But it's time to return to the real world, laundry, dishes, and all.

1 comment:

Kether said...

ewwwwwwwww poor Becky.
Sounds like a great trip.
But you can't post and not tell me what you bought! You just can't!