Sunday, December 05, 2004

Holidays...

This time of year is just too crazy! It doesn't help that I have about 25 cousins who have about 10 children between them...there are birthday parties every month, and this one is no exception. I just found out Friday afternoon that my cousin's son Elijah's 1st birthday party was Saturday night. His birthday is actually around the 23rd, but they didn't want it to get overshadowed by Christmas. This is on top of my cousin Hannah's birthday party today (I think she's 11 or 12 now?) that I already knew about. So off we went to the outlets Friday night to find a gift for Elijah (Hannah was already set). This is the last year, I'm afraid, that I'll be buying for all of these kids. There is no way I can shell out this kind of money and expect to raise a kid on our income.

Yesterday afternoon we went shopping with my MIL. She told my husband that she would get him shoes for his birthday (something she does just about every year) and he has to go shopping with her to pick them out (because he's so darn picky - it's worse than shopping with a woman!!). Anyway, his birthday was back on June 10th but he never remembered to call, so we were taking care of it before Christmas. While we were in the area, we stopped at Babies 'R Us to add that crib to the registry. Of course, I had never told MIL about the registry - I just didn't want her to think I was being greedy since it's so early on. It's really just a planning device right now. Anyway, she had never been in a Babies 'R Us before and seemed to enjoy our trip through there. And then I got scolded (in a nice way) for buying the stroller already - she said I'm supposed to let people buy stuff like that for me. Ha! :) What she doesn't know is that I bought the stroller during a mini-mental breakdown in August when I wasn't even pregnant, but at least I had a good reason. We already had the infant seat from the first time I was pregnant (to see if it would fit in the car I had at the time - it didn't) and I wanted to make sure to get the matching stroller before they discontinued the pattern since the two could be used together as a travel system. At least she understood that. :)

Last night the news was officially released on my mother's side of the family at Elijah's party. I haven't seen any of them since a couple days after I got my BFP. They all knew (well, except for one cousin) but now we're officially talking about it. My cousin who is due 2 days before I am was just too excited when she found out about that and told her mom, so that's how the news spread...but that's okay. Easier than having to do it myself! Today at my cousin Hannah's party, I have a feeling the news will be out officially on my father's side of the family as well. It's weird telling people...I've been keeping it a secret for so long. It somehow seems like I'm jinxing it by talking openly about it, but since that little heart keeps thumping along and nothing has happened to make me doubt the fact that we will in fact have a baby in June, I guess there's no need to be nervous.

1 comment:

Kether said...

Carrie, I chased The Jinx away and locked her up in a deep, dark, dungeon. So, there ain't no jinx here no more! I got your back! So, let people enjoy your pregnancy.
As for the registry--I had one of those secret registries for planning purposes, too, along with notebooks full of information. I don't know why I've been reluctant to actually do the real one. Goin' to Babies R Us today to seal the deal. I'd do it entirely online,but we're buying the armoire today so I have to actually *go* to the store.
How are you feeling?