Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Fear and Other Nonsense

I haven't been online much lately. My old foe, Spot, visited on Monday. It was a quite unwelcome visit. It wasn't much, but it was still there. I almost didn't do anything...after all, it stopped in the late afternoon, what more could I do? Until I decided to research online what spotting at this point could mean. Incompetant Cervix. What a horrible name for a condition over which a woman has no control. I didn't know if I had it, but I figured I'd better get it checked out in case I needed a cerclage. Something could be done in this case to prevent the worst from happening, if that was the cause of the spotting. So I got on the phone with my doctor's office, explained what happened, and they called me in to check everything out. The roads were slick and snowy, but I didn't care - my baby's well-being was at stake! I saw my doctor and she said she totally understood my fears; she knew them well enough herself. But everything checked out fine. I wasn't spotting anymore, my cervix was good and closed, and Peep's heart was beating away, strong and regular. She said everything looked and sounded great and I should be fine, but to not hesitate to call should something happened again. She didn't want me sitting home, crying and all upset. She told me they would make the decision if it was something that needed to be checked out, and even if they didn't think so but I felt something was *really* wrong, all I needed to do was tell them and they'd get me in. Comforting words, even if they are only words. So it seems Peep is, once again, safe... the spotting has stopped and fear is subsiding. I'm back to listening to the heartbeat every day with the doppler now, but a little reassurance goes a long way.

In other news, for some reason on Monday (before the spotting incident) when I got home at lunch time, I had a horrible feeling that the message on the answering machine was our landlord asking us when we were going to finally move. I should explain that we used to own the 3 family house in which we reside and sold it about a year ago. We've been renting from the new owner ever since on a month-to-month basis, with the intention of moving eventually, but it hasn't come to fruition yet. The message on Monday was not him, but Tuesday when I saw that light flashing again, my stomach dropped. This time it was him, telling us we needed to make room in the garage for the 2nd floor tenant's quad. Not a question, didn't even leave a number to get back to him at (he lives on the other side of the state). I should mention that our rental agreement entitles us to full usage of the garage, of which my husband has taken advantage - there isn't even room to walk around in there! On top of that, we have the garage locked because Brian's tools and some other costly equipment are in there; I do not relish the idea of sharing that space with a person I don't even know. On top of that, if they're still under the same rental agreement I wrote when they rented the 2nd floor apartment only a month before the house sold, they're not even supposed to have a quad - it's forbidden by the lease, as is parking on the lawn (which they do), and additional tenants (which there is now). GRRRRRRR!!! I don't understand why every time they call him and say jump, he says how high. We pay early every month and we never bother him with anything. Meanwhile, he's been here for the 2nd floor several times over the last year, fixing God knows what and having to call in an exterminator over the summer because she insisted she found carpenter ants in her cereal. I'll let you digest that. Carpenter ants don't eat cereal; they eat wood. All that fuss for some stupid sugar ants. In any case, now Brian has to meet with the landlord next week to prove there's no room in the garage. This while he's in the progress of bringing the rest of his stuff home from a garage he was renting because we decided it was stupid to pay for a garage elsewhere when we have one here. So while the garage isn't busting at the seams, it will be when the rest of that stuff gets here before January 15th. GRRRRRR! I don't even feel we have to justify ourselves. We pay more rent because we have the use of the garage, and you can't change the terms of a rental agreement at a moment's notice - it's illegal. I know because when I was a landlord, I read all the Landlord-Tenant Laws. Yet, if we stand up for our rights, we could end up homeless. There are no rentals right now, and we're not ready to buy again, so is it worth it in the end? I didn't sleep last night, and Brian is entirely distracted by this mess. Again, I don't understand why a logical person would mess around with the tenants who have paid early and fully every month and never complain to appease those who constantly break the rules. A vacancy is quite difficult to fill in the middle of winter - we've been through that - but he risks us deciding we would leave, too, by doing this. All to accomodate a forbidden item anyway. GRRRRR!!!! Looks like we may be moving in with my MIL! Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Kether said...

Go away bad landlord dude. Leave Carrie alone.
and 2nd floor guy, get rid of your quad before I spit on you.

Carrie, I know this is all very stressful. Try to relax and enjoy the Holidays and take care of that little bug inside you. Glad your doc is so pro-active. Wish I could see her.