Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Update

Margaret slept from 9:30PM to 6:15AM. (She also had a nap from probably 8-9PM before the "last" feeding.) Looks like this *could* be the culprit. But it will take a few more nights before I can tell for sure.

New problem. Margaret has been *extremely* fussy at home lately. Apparently, she's as good as can be at daycare. At least, they keep telling me this even when I don't ask. And it's always checked off on her progress report that she's happy and curious, and usually cooperative, too. However, when she's home and awake, she screams most of the time. This is a relatively new problem, but it's probably been going on for about a week now. At first I thought daycare may be lying, but if they keep saying she's so happy and friendly when I don't even ask, how can that be the case? Which then makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong that she's wonderful for them and miserable with me.

It seems the problem may in part be gas-related. We're trying a new tummy soother that's all natural (chammomile and ginger, basically). At least, we started using that when after absolutely nothing else worked, we thought maybe she was having tummy troubles. This seems to lessen the intensity, but tonight, she was still pretty upset afterwards. Since she's not tolerating her old milk-based formula, she's been on Prosobee Lipils. We never gave her formula with ARA/DHA before, and I have heard of that causing gas issues, so maybe that's the source of her unhappiness? I bought some non-lipil Prosobee to try next. Then I read today that babies tend to be fussier in the evening/night because they don't know what to do with the day's pent up stress. Which would mean that there's not much I can do about it if that's the cause. But I hate that option because it makes me feel so powerless. Maybe she's just overtired? She doesn't usually nap well at daycare and is only napping less than 2 hrs a day there.

Who knows why... I just wish it would stop. She's supposed to be crying less at this stage, not more. It's very stressful and tiring to try everything you can think of and still have a screaming infant. (SIGH)

ETA: Oh yes! And now we have fleas. I just finished giving Becky a flea bath and tomorrow after working until 6:30PM, I'll have to figure out how to prevent a major infestation without bombing the place. Should be interesting and not something I'm exactly ready to handle right now.... It's been a hell of a week and it's only Wednesday.

No comments: