Sunday, October 16, 2005

Happy 4 Months Old!


Margaret celebrated 4 months on this earth by eating her first food today. Oatmeal. Not something I enjoy, but I decided it was a better food to start with than rice cereal. She didn't even seem to realize she was eating. Surprisingly, we didn't lose much of it out of her mouth either. The only problem: the bib. I thought we'd use her big girl bib that isn't absorbant. Big mistake as she decided to try to eat the bib, as well as rub it all over everything. Next time I'll be sure to use something that will really contain the mess.



I want to thank all of you for reminding me that guidelines are exactly that: not rules that must be strictly adhered to, but rather a collection of what works for the average situation. Margaret had been exhibiting signs of readiness for solids for weeks now, but I've been trying to hold her off because of the guidelines. Even with her doctor telling me to feed her cereal, I still resisted. But Margaret was not ready to give up formula (as directed by her doctor) without getting something in its place. So I threw the guidelines out the window and gave it a chance today. After all, she is the size of your average 7 or 8 month old... it only stands to reason that she'd be ready for food a little bit earlier than your average 4 month old.

1 comment:

Mama Duck said...

Alright, Peanut looks EXACTLY the same when she's eating cereal to which The Duckling comments, "Messy."

Love the honesty of toddlers!

She's absolutely beautiful!