Sunday, March 11, 2007

Absent Spouse

I could use some feedback on this one, if you don't mind...

How do you keep from losing your mind when you are the *only* caregiver? Forget primary, hubby is rarely home when Maggie is awake. Yes, he works 2 jobs. But he's supposed to have Sundays off, and I don't do any business work on Sundays because that's supposed to be our family day. Instead, he often goes skiing. He also has been taking at least 1 day off a week for over a month now to go skiing with friends as well. And since he usually gets out of his 2nd job early and goes skiing (because his job is at a ski area), that means about 4-5 days a week he's away skiing, not working... while I get no alone time. None. Zippo. Zilch. I have 2-3 parties a month, but that's work, not leisure.

It's wearing on me badly. Whether it's a contributor to the depression or the depression is making it worse, I don't know... but I'm having an awful time dealing with it right now as hubby is away, again, skiing and I have another full day with Maggie to look forward to. When she's refusing diaper changes, refusing to stay put to eat, ransacking everything, the dog won't go to the bathroom outside, and the house is (again) a mess even though I just cleaned it - knowing that the landlord is planning on coming sometime this week to rip down the ceiling in our linen closet because water keeps leaking through the ceiling from the apartment upstairs and they can't figure out why from upstairs....

I need a break.

Try a week's vacation somewhere tropical by myself. With no phones.

I don't know how much longer I can hold on to my sanity (if I still have any left) if this continues....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's really unfair for him to be taking so much vacation time for himself and leaving you alone. I think you need to have a discussion about it. It almost seems like he's avoiding being at home. You're supposed to be a team and that's really not happeneing right now.

Crista said...

OMG, I would be totally losing it too. I've just had a week of barely seeing the hubs due to his now two jobs, and I can't tell you how many times I landed in tears this week (and not 'cause I missed him...not that I didn't, but you kwim). PMS hasn't helped, but I can't even imagine how it would feel with pg hormones and exhaustion. I definitely feel for you, and hope there is an end in sight. Have you talked to him about this? I know the skiing is important to him and all, but wtf?! You need something for YOU too. Even if that's just one day a week with him around to help keep you from going insane. Yes, maybe he's got the difficult role of being primary bread winner, but you've got a really hard job with long days too, and that needs to be recognized if it's not already (or if it's just given lip service, as happens too often.)