Tuesday, August 31, 2004

3 Months 'Til Winter!

My husband is so crazy sometimes! Ever since "Ski" magazine started coming in the mail again, all he can think about is when the snow will start flying again so he can strap on those skis. He's a seasoned veteran...I just learned this past winter. I started on New Year's Day with a lesson at Ski Sundown in New Hartford, CT. I think I ended up going a total of 16 times this past winter, ending the season with a few runs at Mad River Glen in Vermont as well as progressing to some of the black diamond trails at Mohawk Mountain in Connecticut. I even purchased my own equipment after only a few times at the slopes. I, too, am looking forward to the ski season... Yet, it's bittersweet. Had I still been pregnant, I would have missed out on this winter... There's still a chance for that to happen, which makes me sort of torn over the whole situation. On one hand, I'd really like to ski this winter. I only got to go for a few months and I was bitten by the bug--I'd love to get back into it. On the other hand, I'd really like to get started on our family. I feel so selfish sometimes. There are so many things I enjoy doing that I know will have to be put on hold when we have children. That's all a part of life...you make sacrifices to have a family. Sometimes, I don't want to make those sacrifices. Most of the time, I realize that those wants and desires would only temporarily be put on hold. Once the children are old enough, we can all go skiing together, for example. I need to look past the here and now and see the bigger picture.

In any case, I don't have much control over what the future holds. I'll just go with the flow. And while I'm looking forward to the first time snow flies this year, I know I will be just as happy if I have to keep my skis in storage this winter. It will be worth it in the end...

1 comment:

Jess said...

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. As you seem to realize, you have to just go with the flow. Enjoy the good things life brings you (fun skiing, kids when they arrive, trying to make kids in the meantime, and anything else you can enjoy) and do your best to let the bad stuff roll off of you.