Monday, August 30, 2004

Through the steamy jungle...

Yesterday was HOT. The first time in a while that it actually felt like summer around here. The thermometer in the truck read 88 degrees outside and they said on the news that humidity was at 93%...it certainly felt like it! Yet, Brian and I decided (like the crazy fools that we are) to go for a hike yesterday. Nevermind that neither one of us is really in shape right now, or that the last time we tried this mountain, we gave up between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way up. We were going to hike Bear Mountain (which, BTW, is the highest peak in Connecticut!).

We boot up at the car and I realize I really have to pee... I hate outhouses, but I trudge off to the one by the parking lot expecting the worst--and that's exactly what I found. There was no way I was putting my "dainties" anywhere near what I found in that outhouse. I sucked it up and decided I would hold it.

We begin our hike gleefully, so sure of ourselves. The dog bounds ahead of us, tethered unwillingly by her retractable leash. Whew, this first steep was steeper than I remembered! And so it continues...finally, we're making deals with ourselves that we must make it to the intersection of the UnderMountain Trail and Paradise Lane. That's all...we couldn't face ourselves if we couldn't make it at least as far as last time. I drag myself up the mountain, the urge to pee becoming more persistent, but move on we must. 45 minutes after we started, we're at the trail juncture. We collapse on the rocks in a panting heap. Yup, this is harder than we remembered. Brian takes a huge swig from his water, but I still have to pee... How can I possibly drink more at this point? I survey the area, finding nowhere sheltered enough, nor suitable, for a bathroom break. So I sit and rest while Brian and the pup drink and eat. After about 15 minutes or so, I suggest we try going a little bit further; in spite of how tired I was only minutes before, I'm feeling re-energized. After all, it looks pretty flat ahead from where I could see, and wouldn't it be a shame to give up just when it got easier. So we head on. Sure enough, the next stretch is pretty flat for quite some time. We each mentally make an unofficial stopping point of where the AT (Appalachian Trail) intersects with the UnderMountain Trail. It starts getting steep again and we aren't sure we will make it, but I urge Brian on a little further, saying, "Let's just get to as far as we can see right now and go from there." We get to that point and see the trail juncture sign only a few feet away. We made it to our second benchmark!

Again, a rest (this time standing since there was nowhere to sit). Brian wants to turn back at this point...the trail sign indicates it's another .9 mile to the summit and we aren't sure we can make it. But I say, "Let's see how far we can make it!" On we move again... Up rocky steps and rock itself, we move on til we get to a rocky clearing. The breeze feels wonderful caressing our sweat soaked skin and clothes, giving us temporary respite from the heat. We still can't see the monument on the summit, but I again urge him on stating that we don't know how far we are now, and we could be almost there. I think we continue on for another 1/2 mile after I said that before we reach the summit, but it was worth it. We made it to the summit for the first time in years. It took us a long time, but that didn't matter--we made it.

We camp out on the rocks eating our well-earned lunch. I still really had to pee, but it didn't matter at that time. We take our time on the top, resting for probably a half hour or more. It was funny how many people reached the top just to turn around almost immediately and head back down. After all that effort, they didn't even enjoy the fruits of their labor. But we made sure we did. Brian and our dog, Becky, pose for a few photos, we look out on the scenery (which was very hazy...normally, there's a really good view from the top of Bear Mountain), and then pack up. Heading back down, I want to bound down the mountain, buoyed by my feeling of accomplishment and desire to get to a restroom; Brian, however, is very tired. I try telling him that holding yourself back against gravity makes it worse, but he is also grouchy at this point. Our dog and I end up heading out ahead of him and beat him to the bottom by about 10 minutes. The whole trip takes us 3.75 hours...it shouldn't have been more than 2.5. But we did it! That's all that matters! (And I was really relieved when we finally got to the restrooms at McDonald's!! :) )

Brian and Becky at the monument on the summit


Me and Becky on the rocks at the summit

No comments: