Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Zen

We all need that little something that lets us just live in the moment. The head is clear and for just a little while, you're not worried about how many loads of laundry are waiting for you, or whether you paid the phone bill on time. It's your time, for you alone.

My zen is downhill skiing. It's my only escape, these days. Well, that and work (but that's a different kind of escape). My few hours with nobody else to worry about, nobody to cater to, where my body is my own and my time is mine to use as I see fit. I love it.

It's kind of ironic, actually. I was not born with athletic ability. I was never into sports in my youth (though I did waterski from about 8th grade through my senior year of high school, but that was once a week at best at my grandparents' cottage). Heck, I didn't even learn how to ski until I was 26 years old!! Still, as soon as I got over the fear of trying it, I was sucked in and I'll never look back.

Last night I had some of those beautiful few hours to myself. It was my first time out in 10 days, due to my back and shoulder injury from my fall at work. Even last night I almost didn't go due to the pain. But I popped a couple of ibuprofen and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. I really needed a couple of hours of selfish enjoyment.

Not long into the night, I bumped into a couple of Brian's ski buddies. I ended up sharing lift rides with them the rest of the night, as well as skiing some of the mountain with them (they're more advanced skiers so I couldn't join them entirely). I'm so used to skiing by myself these days, but it was nice to have someone to talk to during the down time.

Bliss.

No comments: