Sunday, January 13, 2008

I Am Loved, After All!

It looks like I haven't been abandoned! (And that apparently, I should have looked into this bloglines thing long ago, since that's the wave of the future, LOL!)

Another exciting day in the household. Yesterday we went on a Coach mission, to see what I could find the best deals on. After visiting 2 TJ Maxxes, 1 Marshalls, 1 Nordstroms, 1 Macys, and 1 actual Coach boutique, I am happy to report I actually returned home empty-handed. It was tough, but I didn't see anything that I absolutely loved and I promised myself I wouldn't buy just because I found an awesome deal (like I usually do - you know, the whole "I didn't spend money, I saved it" mentality). Did find some awesome deals at TJ Maxx, though. And 1 at Nordstroms, surprisingly. But I was a good girl.

The day out killed my shoulder, however. Did I tell you about my fall? I've been working part-time at a local ski hill scanning lift tickets. It's a lot of standing outside in the cold, but the pay is okay and I get to ski free at night, so it's worth it (plus it's a little adult time for me, which is a huge plus!). Last week while I was working, I went over to the chairlift to ask the boss a question. Stepped down on the wooden platform and lost my feet from under me. It must have been cartoon-like. One moment I was standing, the next I was flat on my back. He looked genuinely concerned and offered me a hand while asking if I was okay, but I couldn't even answer - I had the wind knocked out of me. How many times in your life do you fall flat on your back? Not often. The last time for me was, ironically, only a couple weeks prior when I was trying to ski a new trail and I lost it when going a little too fast over a bump. That fall took 2 weeks to recover from (mainly because I tweaked my knee).

In any case, there I was, lying on my back, unable to speak. I finally did manage to get out that I was okay but I just needed to lie there for a moment. The pain was surprising and plentiful. Eventually, I managed to sit, but again needed a moment. I did get up on my feet again by myself, but I was so embarrassed. The boss (20 years old and good-looking, I must add) asked me if I was alright but I was way too humiliated to admit how much pain I was really in. The pride hurts more than anything else. I worked the 2.5 hrs left in my shift, then cried my entire way home from work, fearing I wouldn't make it home because it hurt just to steer the car.

So back to the shoulder... when I fell, my left arm was under me. I must have put it there instinctively to try to break my fall. Instead, I ended up with a bruise on my butt from my knuckles, plus my shoulder and elbow were tweaked a bit. This has been the most enduring of the pains from that fall since that's the arm I usually carry Ethan with. And Ethan requires carrying all the time as he's quite the attached mama's-boy. Last night was the worst it had been in a few days. But I managed. After all, boss-man was on again last night and I wasn't going to show that I couldn't stick it out with the guys. I'm no wuss!

No comments: