Friday, January 18, 2008

Caring for All

The problem of being a SAHM is that you spend so much time taking care of everyone else that you tend to forget about caring for yourself. Or you put your needs on the back burner so that by day's end, they're still not met because you needed to get everything else done first. This is a problem I'm still having even though I've been a SAHM for over a year now, and it's only gotten worse.

Today I took some time to take a nice, long, hot shower. Like the kinds I used to take every day when I worked. Only then, I had someone to watch Mags while I was in the shower (or she was still asleep) whereas these days, the kids will wreck the house if left to their own devices for too long (and they don't nap). Amazing how something so small can make such a big difference though. I feel human again. I was in a terrible mood when I woke up (if you can call it such as I had no more than 20 minutes of consecutive sleep during the entire night, totaling probably no more than 4 or 5 hours). But now, I'm refreshed. The world doesn't seem quite so terrible.

Clearly I need to do more to take care of myself. One of the first steps is to get back on track with healthy eating habits and exercise. I'm below my pre-pregnancy weight with Maggie, but I'm still 8 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight with Ethan. And 56.8 lbs above my goal weight (yeah, I gained a lot of weight over the years, though only 34.8 lbs of that were after high school). My SIL's wedding is in July, we have another family wedding in October. I want to look good for once. I want to stop feeling like my body is in the way of enjoying life. And I vow that I will hit my goal weight before the start of the next ski season. That gives me roughly 40 weeks to lose nearly 60 lbs. Definitely realistic and I WILL do it!

The good news is that I am 36.2 lbs below my highest weight ever. :) That's progress, especially since I've had 2 kids since then.

No comments: