Monday, July 24, 2006

Great Endo Appointment!

Today was my annual endocrinologist appointment and I must say, it went very well! They weighed me in at 193 with clothes and shoes on, and I weighed myself at 192.6 this morning, so it got off to a great start (you know, considering doctor's scales usually like to say you're 5 lbs heavier than you thought).

My endo was thrilled with my numbers on my labs and the fact that I've been losing weight. He seemed surprised that all I was doing was cutting calories and exercising more. I did tell him that I was eating fast food probably 4 times a week when I last saw him, though, and cutting that out would make a huge difference. My cholesterol levels came down so much he was sure I was on Lipitor or some other cholesterol drug. He said I will not have to go on Lipitor (if you recall, when I saw him last year my cholesterol was high and he told me he didn't want me waiting more than 2 years to get pregnant again as he wanted me on Lipitor - this is a HUGE relief!!!).

So, here are the numbers. The first # is from last year (7/21/2005) and the second # is from this year (7/13/2006):

Cholesterol (desirable: <200/high: >/= 240): 247 ~ 163
Triglycerides (normal: <150/high: 200-499): 255 ~ 148
HDL (>/=60 is Low Risk Factor/<40 is Major Risk Factor): 43 ~ 43
LDL (optimal: <100/Borderline High: 130-159): 153 ~ 90

I was absolutely thrilled! Even though I don't see a physical difference in me, it's obvious now that my overall health is being affected by the healthier lifestyle.

Alkaline Phosphatase (50-136): 137 ~ 61
Not sure what that one is, but it came down a lot, too.

Here's an interesting one:
Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (8-112): 54 ~ 288
Even though that's high, he said it was a good thing because it's keeping me from having any free testosterone (yes, that was zero, which is excellent when you have PCOS). He said because of this, it should be easy to get pregnant. His exact words were that I should be able to get pregnant "like, tomorrow".

That, of course, tempts me even more....

He said that he doesn't think the migraines, hot flashes, and ill feeling I've been having for the last several days are withdrawals from BCP. Since yesterday was supposed to be the 1st day of a new pack, it's too soon for that to be the cause. Anyway, his first response was "Are you pregnant?" Not possible... BD timing was off by a week from when I would have ovulated, had I ovulated, and besides...I've been bleeding for 5 days now!

In any case, I go back in 3 months and he ordered a pregnancy test as part of that bloodwork and expects it to come back positive. :D

He really is such a great doctor! He told me to keep up with whatever I'm doing because I'm doing a great job.

It was just the motivation I needed. I came home and went for a great walk with Maggie and Becky and burned 389 calories.

1 comment:

Crista said...

Woo-hoo! I'm so proud of you! If only we lived closer, we could motivate each other to walk every day!! That's totally what I need right now.