Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Experiments in Sleep Deprivation

Dead tired. I got 3 hours of sleep last night. Total, not consecutively. I don't even remember getting dressed this morning.

Margaret still has fluid in her ears. The doctor's not sure if it's still draining or if she still has an ear infection (since he wasn't the one to diagnose her originally) so we have to wait 2 more weeks and go back for another follow-up. If she gets worse in the meantime, he'll call in a script for another round of antibiotics. But he'd prefer to wait and see rather than have us possibly use them unnecessarily. He also suggested switching to Dimetapp for Margaret's congestion. He wasn't concerned about her chest congestion. Of course, it figures that she didn't cough at all when he was in the room. But he did listen very thoroughly to her lungs.

I almost called this morning. In the grand fashion that started almost a month ago now, Margaret once again did not sleep through the night. Not even close. It took until nearly 10:30PM to get her to bed. Then she woke up at 1AM fussing, and giving her the pacifier didn't work, so I had to rock her back to sleep. I think that took 30 or 40 minutes. Around 3AM, she woke up again. This time, she got herself thoroughly worked up, screaming bloody murder. Brian got up with her originally, but when I heard the shrill screams and him muttering "shut up" I got up out of bed and gave her some infant's Advil. She clearly sounded like she was in pain. It took until 4:10AM for her to fall back asleep again, and she would only sleep in her bouncy seat. So I had to camp out on the couch, as I didn't want to leave her unattended in it. 2 hours later, I awoke with a sore neck, but a (fortunately) still sleeping baby. She made it until 6:40AM before waking on her own. Mind you, she used to sleep 9:30/10PM until about 6:40AM every day, straight through, for over 2 months. This is killing me. And it can't be all that healthy for her, especially since she only takes a few half hour naps a day at daycare, and maybe one 1-2 hour nap when I'm home with her. (SIGH)

About 10 minutes before we had to leave, she also vomitted all over herself and her Exersaucer. I'm too tired to be dealing with this sort of thing with a clear head. It's a good thing Brian was running late and hadn't left for work yet.

Yes, she's at daycare. I can't stay home with her again. We're under a lot of pressure at work right now and I know I'm already on the list for all the time I've missed already because of Margaret's illnesses. If they send her home from daycare, fine, then work can't argue with that. But I couldn't stay home. (They're still renovating the hallway anyway, so it's not like it would be a restful day.)

Just to spite me, I think, Margaret gave the biggest grin to her teacher when I dropped her off this morning. Like she was a well-rested, happy, healthy child...like it was all a figment of my imagination. Wonderful.

2 comments:

Crista said...

I'm so sorry! Poor baby, and poor mama! I wish I could offer some helpful advice, but I'm at a loss. I hope it gets better soon...are you comfortable bringing her into bed with you? Hope this doesn't sound like assvice, and it doesn't always result in a good night's sleep for G & me when I've resorted to it, but at least we all get to be in bed for most of the night, at least sleeping on and off. When Bella had her head cold, it seemed to help if she slept on my arm, so her head and chest were a little elevated -- we also stuck a pillow under the head of her mattress so she had a slight elevation in the crib at night, without and SIDS risks. Ack. Hope things improve, and SOON. ((((Hugs))))

~Tanya~ said...

I was going to comment the same as Crista did. Have you elevated the head of her crib or even let her sleep in a seat sitting up it it works. I know w/ Blake the fluid builds up when lying flat causing pressure & pain. Just some thing that I thought may help. Hope you figure something out & get some rest, all of you!