Wednesday, December 28, 2005

A Lesson in Baby Carriers

Kat's question got me thinking. Most people probably aren't familiar with the vast opportunities available in the world of baby-wearing. (And no, I'm not talking about some weird fashion trend...)

The best source for info on baby-wearing is http://thebabywearer.com. That's where I found my info on how to make a pouch and ring sling when I set off on those ventures back in the spring. Since Margaret wasn't fond of either, however, I researched my other options this fall. That's how I stumbled upon mei tais, which are probably my favorite baby carrier.

Mei tais (which are pronounced may tie, or may die, depending on the source) work somewhat like the familiar Bjorns and Snuglis in that the baby is supported in an upright position against your body. However, these are based on traditional Asian Baby Carriers, so they're a much older design (read: no buckles; these babies tie onto you). Mei tais traditionally are for front and back carries, but they can also be used to carry a toddler on your hip. They consist of long shoulder straps that you wrap around you and baby, and a pair of waist straps to close in the bottom of the panel.

I also have an onbuhimo, another traditional Asian Baby Carrier (ABC). This has long shoulder straps like the mei tai, but instead of waist straps, there are rings on the sides that you thread the shoulder straps through before knotting them. These traditionally were used for back carries only. I know of people who have used them for front carries, but it seems a bit awkward. A mei tai would be much quicker for a front carry, although an onbu can be faster for a back carry.

Here are the others in my collection of ABCs:

Red mod dots Baby Hawk extra tall mei tai with red minkee lining and (extra long) black straps:


Succulent Dahlia Blooms Baby Hawk onbuhimo with sage minkee lining and black straps (sans baby...Margaret was asleep when I was able to get a picture of it):


And of course, the one in my original post. My goldfish custom framed Nestlings mei tai with natural (extra long) straps:


Just like anything else, these can become an addiction. Brian still thinks they're a frivalous expenditure. However, with how happy they make Margaret during her fussy moments (which occur *every* day lately), they've been worth every penny!

5 comments:

kelly jeanie said...

I love your mei tais! So jealous. I have a Kozy that I adore, though I haven't used it lately. Looking at those pics, though, I'm inspired to get it out. You guys look so comfy!

Unknown said...

Those are so cool! I only hope I have reason to invest in one (or two!) next year! ;-)

Heather said...

Those are beautiful!

Kether said...

I'm jealous because Liam HATED being "worn" I so wanted that snuggly-close feeling. He liked to be held, but hated being worn.

Now its hard to even get him to let me hold him. He wants DOWN and wants to play. he's so independent.
Enjoy being able to wear Maggie as long as possible.

Crista said...

Bella is like Liam, for good or for bad. Definitely not into being worn anymore either, and just wants to PLAY. Losing that snuggly babiness is sad, but I know she'll have snuggly moments again as a toddler. :) I have a friend who makes and sells baby carriers, called Monkadoo Mommy Wear, so thought I'd give her a plug...http://www.monkadoo.com/

Thanks for the info Carrie!