Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Excuses, Excuses

I know, I know. I've been MIA for a while now. Being a mom is much more time-consuming than I ever thought it would be...I have no idea how I will manage when I am a mom of two!

Margaret's sleep habits have gone down hill again. She's still battling a cold, which is directly to blame for her more frequent middle-of-the-night wakings. And some days she does great with her naps (2 1.5-2 hour naps), but most days, she barely manages 3 45-minute naps. The combination of her poor sleeping habits, with her recent clinginess, has turned me into a sort of AP mom. I never planned on being crunchy, it's just sort of happened. I spend much of our evenings together with her in a mei tai or onbuhimo carrier on my back. She's content to be there, and prefers that I actually do something with her on my back (like wash dishes or do laundry) than just sit around. So it helps in that I manage to get some things done around the house, but I never imagined it would be this way.

(Here's an example of one of my mei tais, but with her on the front)


Which is funny. I've always been a planner. I intended to do things a certain way. Then I learned to listen to Margaret's cues, and since I started to go with the flow, things have turned out entirely differently than I planned. But it works for us so that's all that matters. I don't mind being a bit of a hippy chick if it makes my baby happy. :)

Margaret's trying earnestly to crawl. When she does actually get on her hands and knees, she goes backwards instead of forwards. But she can spin a mean circle on the floor, as well as roll to just about anywhere she wants to get. I suppose it's time to finish baby-proofing. She's mobile!

We do have exciting news to share! My SIL will be getting married at a Sandals resort on Antigua in February. And they are bringing us to witness the event (and get a little R&R!). This includes Margaret!! Brian isn't as enthused as I would like him to be. We do prefer cold weather to hot, and he would rather spend time in February skiing than sitting on a tropical beach. But there aren't many opportunities like this in life. And I would so love to see Margaret enjoy the beach and ocean! We've never been to the Caribbean before so I'm really looking forward to this event! :)

Other than that, just day to day life here. We're planning on moving in the spring to a bigger apartment...and quite possibly, to Vermont if we can find a way. We've dreamt of moving "up North" for years now and we may have enough money to at least make the move possible (to an apartment), if we can find jobs. That's problematic since Brian doesn't have a college degree, and I only have an Associate's. I'm really hoping that we can make it work, though. It would be so wonderful to live where there's cleaner air and less people!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've heard of "slings" and "wraps" but never a "mei tai." Looks very cool, so I have to ask where you got it?!?

Sorry Margaret is battling another cold. She is such a doll! Listening to your baby is the best way to go. Keeps everyone happy that way.

Hope she's feeling better soon!

Crista said...

Oh my what a beauty Margaret is! I love that photo, and she's getting so big. Glad to see you post, and to hear that going with the flow is going well -- I have also learned to follow Bella's cues, and it's so great, though sorry about the sleep troubles. Vermont, huh? G lived there for several years, and in fact my step-daughter is there still. Where are you looking? I bet you can find jobs...would you consider working at a ski resort? Killington might be a good idea. G worked there for a long time and loved it. Let me know if you want more info, and I'll grill him for some. :)

Kether said...

Margaret is so adorable in that picture!
Sounds like a great trip to your SIL's wedding!
I agree about following cues. Its so hard to learn that lesson, though.