Monday, March 31, 2008

Noodle Legs

I finally got to ski again yesterday! Granted, it was only green trail cruising so as not to further injure my knee - but it was worth it! The 2.5 hours of on-hill time were full of challenges. My fitness level is pretty much caput after 6 weeks of near-inactivity to preserve and heal my knee. The snow was challenging with temps in the 40s yesterday. I hit snow that was frozen, hardpack, loose granular, and slush. The heavy, wet spring snow is harder to ski in anyway, but scarier when you're afraid of hurting yourself. And fear was my biggest opponent yesterday. Fear of falling. Fear of hurting myself. Complete lack of confidence. Sure, I was in new boots on new skis, but I could handle myself. I was just afraid of hitting a bump too fast again and completing the tear in my knee.

Kind of disappointing to end the season skiing worse than when I started. :( But it was still good to be out! And boy am I sore today!

No comments: